Friday, July 16, 2010

A Bit of History

A Bit of History

Perhaps a bit of history leading to the telling of this story. My initial decision to drive truck began in 2007. I sought out information about the company, applied for and received a response indicating that I was “conditionally” hired and was to begin training in about 3 weeks, after a medical exam.

Went through the exam, gave a two-week notice to the Tribune (shocking everyone), and began preparing to leave the paper and go to Green Bay.
Here comes that “conditional” part. One week before I was to go to GB for training, I had one last phone interview concerning health and meds. I was asked what meds I took, ha, little did I know what was coming.

Upon revealing the prescriptions I take, there was a pause, an um or two and the person said “I need to look that one up.” Turns out one of my meds was not allowed to be able to obtain a commercial drivers license-CDL. I was told I had to be off the med for 6 months to be considered for employment! Yikes! This conversation couldn’t have taken place a week earlier?! I just gave notice that I was leaving the paper!! She said good luck and call us back in 6 months.

So… swallowing my pride, I went to the editor to ask if I could rescind my resignation. To my unending surprise, he said he had not yet submitted the paperwork and that I had continued to diligently perform my duties at the paper (no short-timer attitude here!) I spent another full year at the Tribune, resolving the meds issue and again deciding that I was going to do this.

Went through the entire process, med exam, phone interviews and getting the go-ahead to go to Green Bay. Apologies to the Tribune, but I felt the need to do the whole thing under wraps and could give only a 3-day notice I was leaving. They were less than pleased and was told I could never again work for the Gannett Corporation. Guess I burned that bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment